SolarNow is hiring an Agricultural Technical Officer who will be responsible for agri-product installations and quality control.
About the Market
More than 500 million people across sub-Saharan Africa lack access to electricity and the international Energy Agency expects that number to increase to 700 million by 2030. Off-grid solar power is often the only viable answer.
In countries like Uganda and Kenya, where less than 20% of the population have a grid connection, there is an undeniable potential for solar products to leapfrog traditional energy provision models. However, affordability ,perceptions of low quality and the absence of last-mile distribution and maintenance networks for solar are curtailing development.
To tackle this, SolarNow sells quality solar products and suitable appliances ranging from small household systems capable of powering a lights, radio, phone, TV and/or fridge to much larger systems suitable for offices, schools and machinery. Increasingly SolarNow is also catering to the needs of off-grid farmers by providing irrigation solutions.
SolarNow provides credit and service that allows customers to spread payments over 24 months and receive service for 5 years. The company has over 1,000 employees and a network of 50 branches in Uganda and 15 branches in Western Kenya. There are concrete plans to expand within and beyond these territories.
You are someone who cares deeply about improving livelihoods in Africa, but you bring more than passion to the role: you have the grit and resilience to make change happen. You are excited about understanding this nascent industry, the SolarNow products, its unique value proposition and the difference they make.
You have a successful track record in bringing products to rural off-grid market and are a dynamic problem-solver who has strong empathy and passion for rural off-grid households and the people you work with. You are the person who represents the client in the organization but are at the same time the number one advocate of the product and value proposition. You are curious and do not fear to challenge the status quo but are sensitive in how to communicate this. You build strong and effective bridges within the organization to achieve real results. You are not afraid to fail and see it as an opportunity to learn.
About the position
Reports to: Agri Sales Operations Manager and Agri-Marketing Manager
Location: Kansanga, Uganda
Suggested start date: May 2019
Ensure revenue growth through ever increasing client satisfaction by:
- Installing irrigation systems and other agricultural equipment, specifically drip irrigation kits.
- Provide technical guidance to sales staff and branch technical officers,
- Give technical advice and demonstrations to interested clients
- Responsible for installation and maintenance demonstration sites
- Ensure quality assurance of our clients’ systems
- Responsible for service and maintenance of drip irrigation kits and related irrigation equipment.
Qualifications and competencies
- Advanced certificate, Diploma or Degree in Agricultural mechanization, engineering or any related field of study.
- At-least a minimum of 3years work experience in installation of drip irrigation products and/or other agricultural equipment.
- A passion for agriculture and proven experience working with farmers.
- An eye for detail, proven technical skills
- Willingness to travel and to be in the field 80% of your time.
- High level of responsibility
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well in a team
- Competence in Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Compensation and benefits
Salary and benefits are competitive, commensurate with experience.
SolarNow will review applications based on a first come first serve basis and might close the vacancy ahead of schedule should a suitable candidate have been found.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
On email application please use the following subject: Application for Agricultural Technical Officer– “Your Name”